Friday 14 March 2008

Top 5 Songs about cars and driving

Really quick entry today as it's been a long and at times arduous week.

1. "One Piece At A Time" Johnny Cash - John R plans to build a car by stealing a piece at a time from the Detroit production line and hiding them in his lunch box. One of my favourite Cash songs, it has a great comic conclusion as it takes him a while to get all the parts and he ends up with a "49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56, '57, '58, '59 automobile. It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67, '68, '69, '70 automobile".

2. "Brand New Cadillac" Vince Taylor - Cracking British rock'n'roll song which was covered by the Clash on "London Calling". Despite coming from Isleworth I believe Vince attempted to pass himself off as a US rock'n'roller. It's understandable as a song about a brand new Vauxhall Victor probably wouldn't have had the same impact.

3. "Last Kiss" Pearl Jam - It's been so long since I heard this track I'm not actually sure I'd enjoy it as much as I used to. I liked the sentiments of the lyric. "The screaming tyres, the busting glass" I think you can guess where this song is heading.

4. "No Particular Place To Go" Chuck Berry - This has turned out to be quite a rock'n'roll flavoured top five. Probably my favourite Chuck Berry song and covered by just about everyone. It's the ultimate summer driving song.

5. "Don't Drive My Car" Status Quo - Rick Parfitt's paean to beautiful girls and his (then massive) car collection it's the anti-song to "Baby You Can Drive My Car" by the Beatles.

No comments: