Friday 26 September 2008

Top 5 Pink Floyd Albums

Thought I'd do a Floyd related topic in tribute to Richard Wright who passed away last week. My first contact with Floyd came in 1979 with the massive hit "Another Brick In The Wall". I was eleven and only just getting to grips with "pop music" having been largely brought up on The Beatles, The Carpenters and Abba. Floyd seemed grown-up and exciting and I think I also mistook them for a punk band - I'd heard a lot about punk at school but other than a snatched moment of "Friggin' in the Riggin" had been largely unblemished by actually hearing any. Later one of my cousins played me the section of "The Wall" where the Stuka bombers come diving in on a pair of headphones. It scared the life out of me but also made me want to hear more. By the time I'd got to grips with all this Floyd were well and truly over, but I worked my way through all of their albums so that when they eventually got back together at the end of the 80's I was a serious fan desperate to see them live in whatever form they took. Richard Wright was a lovely bloke who played a bigger part in the Floyd story than he has probably been credited for. Hope he's enjoying his great gig in the sky.

1. Meddle (1971)

2. Wish You Were Here (1975)

3. Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)

4. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (1967)

5. The Wall (1979)

.

No comments: