Friday 5 June 2015

Chop's Gigs - April

Did I forget to do this last month? I must have been distracted watching Carry On films.

Sharon Van Etten at Shepherds Bush Empire on Wednesday 29th April 2015 - Sharon Van Etten's recorded voice does funny things to me. Are We There was my 2014 album of the year and I'd been itching to see her live ever since. Turns out her live voice does funny things to me too.


Godspeed You! Black Emperor at Shepherd's Bush Empire on Monday 20th April 2015 - The Sad Miafioso brings the set to a suitably epic conclusion some two hours after it started. The band leave quietly one by one the sustain of guitars and the drone track continuing past the point where the lights are switched on to indicate the curfew has arrived.


Wire at The Lexington on Thursday 16th April 2015 - A brilliant night that left my ears ringing gloriously. My words can't really do them justice so I'll end with a quote from the Guardian's Dorian Lynskey who summed the night up on Twitter "Wire at the Lexington. Fierce, unpredictable, immune to nostalgia, great".


No comments: