Wednesday 4 March 2015

50 years of tunes - 1971 - Jethro Tull "Aqualung"

I struggled to pick one album from '71. Quite a few I like a lot but difficult to pick one above the others. I recently got into Bowie and Hunky Dory is a corker, while The Yes Album has long been my favourite, err, Yes album. But, you probably know, I REALLY like Jethro Tull.

Aqualung is Tull's most famous album but deservedly so. It's much more than the well known title track (and spectacular riff) that opens side one and manages to blend their blues roots with a more progressive edge without sounding overblown. The short acoustic tunes help pull it all together for me and provide a nice element of contrast with the heavier rockier tracks.

1971 - Jethro Tull "Aqualung"


Released: March 1971
Label: Chrysalis
Producer: Ian Anderson, Terry Ellis

Side one: Aqualung
1. "Aqualung" (Ian Anderson, Jennie Anderson)
2. "Cross-Eyed Mary"
3. "Cheap Day Return"
4. "Mother Goose"
5. "Wond'ring Aloud"
6. "Up to Me"

Side two: My God
1. "My God"
2. "Hymn 43"
3. "Slipstream"
4. "Locomotive Breath"
5. "Wind-Up"

All songs written by Ian Anderson except where stated.



.

No comments: