Sunday 26 January 2020

Chop’s Journal - 26th January

Third week of these and I’m currently struggling to keep my eyes open after a long day travelling. I made my first trip to Coventry to help @Kedwondo celebrate his 50th and had a smashing time. Travelled back today but got diverted via Reading to pick up my errant eldest son. 


New SOTW


“RIP Coyote Condo #5” Grandaddy 


Albums I’m enjoying


Another week lacking in new releases to get obsessed by. I mainly revisited last year’s excellent Big Joanie album “Sistahs” ahead of their gig on Thursday. 


There were a flurry of new albums out on Friday though so next week should see something new to discuss. I managed a full listen of Ezra Furman’s “Sex Education” soundtrack. Great to have those tunes properly released, a mix of new songs recorded for the show & older tunes. It’s out on vinyl for Record Store Day in April, not sure if there will also be a regular release. 


Earworm / Recommendation of the week


“Checkout Girl” by HANN


I think this came out last year but it feels new to me as I only consciously took note when Marc Riley played it on his show this year. They did a session for Riley last week which was great so another band for my gig watchlist. 


Gigs of the week


Big Joanie @ MOTH Club (23/Jan) - Third time I’ve seen BJ but the first headline gig and it felt a bit special. 




No Home opened the bill, totally solo and armed with just a guitar and her voice. I’m always interested in totally solo performers, there’s nowhere to hide and this was an impressive performance. 




Breakup Haircut were really upbeat, fun punk. Definitely worth seeing again. 




Big Joanie played a cracking hour plus set with all my favourites and maybe 5 new tunes that sounded just as good. A cracking night all round. 

No comments: