I think this will be the final set of songs for the year. The plan was that this would make my top five songs of the year easier but I'm not entirely convinced it has. Anyway, another set of corking tunes to end the year on a high.
1. Mogwai "Remurdered" - Mogwai are going from strength to strength right now. Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will was comfortably my favourite album of 2011, their soundtrack to French zombie thriller Les Revenants was sublime and this majestic tune seems to blend the best of both releases. I cannot wait for the new album to arrive early next year.
2. Ezra Furman "Tell 'Em All To Go To Hell"/"My Zero" - When I first heard Tell 'Em All To Go To Hell, on the Marc Riley show, I assumed it was some 70s glam classic that I'd never heard before. I still know very little about Ezra Furman but I've since got the album from whence this is from and it is glorious eclectic fun from start to finish. My Zero is the single and far too good to leave unmentioned, so I'm breaking my own rules and including that too.
3. Euros Childs "Tête à Tête" - I've been slowly discovering the joys of Euros Childs over the last couple of years but his new album is a real corker and this is probably my favourite track off it.
4. Sebadoh "Once" - I wasn't a huge fan of Sebadoh but this thumping instrumental might well lead me to investigate further. It's a joyous cacophony that I can't stop playing.
5. Future Of The Left "Johnny Borrell Afterlife" - A little gutted that I didn't arrive at the Les Savy Fav gig in 2008 a little earlier. I missed FOTL supporting them that evening and have only just discovered how fantastic they are. This is the catchiest song from their recent LP and manages a brilliant Bobby Zamora name check which makes me smile.