Saturday 27 September 2014

Top 50 Debut Albums - No.16 "Pink Flag" Wire (1977)

Next a late 70s band that I only got into recently ... Deja vu?


I first heard about Wire after Elastica massively ripped them off on their 1995 debut album. This eventually led to me buying a Wire best of, which I liked at the time but didn't result in any further exploration.

Marc Riley has played Wire a lot on his 6music show and that eventually convinced me to buy Change Becomes Us in 2013. That album made my Top 5 of 2013 and finally spurred me into getting the band's first three albums which are all utterly superb.

Second album, Chairs Missing, made my seventies list but hindsight has proved Pink Flag should have done as well. Pink Flag was released at the height of punk but is more arty than it's contemporaries, trailblazing a path for New Wave and Post Punk bands to follow.

By the way, I still love that Elastica album too, where would pop music be if you couldn't rip someone off every now and again?!




.

No comments: