Friday 19 September 2014

Top 50 Debut Albums - No.24 "Down By The Jetty" Dr. Feelgood (1975)

Bit of pre-punk rhythm & blues?


I spent way too long dismissing the Feelgood's based on only really knowing their later hit single Milk & Alcohol (thanks Shuft!) but as I discovered Roxette and She Does It Right I began to realise the error of my ways.

I saw the brilliant Julien Temple film about the early days of the band, Oil City Confidential. The soundtrack to that film is an excellent compilation of the bands best early tunes too, and that led me to pick up a copy of the magnificent Down By The Jetty.

Wilko is a wonderfully unique and brilliant guitarist. I was very grateful to see him live this year and, following the news he is recovering from a possibly life-saving operation, I hope to see him again soon.



.

1 comment:

Shuft said...

Milk and Honey? Do you mean milk and alcohol? Or is there darker things going on here that I don't know about? Also Iron Maiden should have been in your top five. HA!