Friday 26 September 2014

Top 50 Debut Albums - No.17 "The Stone Roses" The Stone Roses (1989)

Next a album that defined a scene, even if the band didn't really consider themselves part of it.


1989 was the year I stopped reading Kerrang! and started reading the NME. Baggy was the first scene to hit and The Stone Roses were a huge part of that, whether they liked it or not. I wasn't completely convinced by the whole Madchester thing, but I liked a few of the bands and, once I'd got over the fact Ian Brown couldn't sing, was soon won over by the Roses too.

Their debut absolutely nailed the Baggy sound and I don't think the band ever got near those heights again. I never saw them live, which I regret a little now, but that record didn't leave my turntable for at least a year.




.



No comments: