Friday 15 May 2015

Collaborative Top 5 - Carry On Films VOTE

A slight change of tack for the next collaborative top five. I thought it would be nice to work on a subject with a definitive number of options and save all the faffing about with nominations. Everyone loves Carry On films, don't they? I certainly grew up watching these. I loved them then and I still love them now (apart from the last few where things went a little bit awry).


So, simple task - give me your 5 favourite Carry On films in order if you can but out of order if that's too tricky. The vote is open for 31 days during which time I'm going to attempt to watch them all in order.

Carry On Sergeant (1958)
Carry On Nurse (1959)
Carry On Teacher (1959)
Carry On Constable (1960)
Carry On Regardless (1961)
Carry On Cruising (1962)
Carry On Cabby (1963)
Carry On Jack (1963)
Carry On Spying (1964)
Carry On Cleo (1964)
Carry On Cowboy(1965)
Carry On Screaming! (1966)
Carry On Don't Lose Your Head (1966)
Carry On: Follow That Camel (1967)
Carry On Doctor (1968)
Carry On Camping (1969)
Carry On ... Up The Khyber (1969)
Carry On Again, Doctor (1969)
Carry On Up The Jungle (1970)
Carry On Loving(1970)
Carry On Henry (1971)
Carry On At Your Convenience (1971)
Carry On Matron (1972)
Carry On Abroad (1972)
Carry On Girls (1973)
Carry On Dick (1974)
Carry On Behind (1975)
Carry On England (1976)
Carry On Emmanuel (1978)
Carry On Columbus (1992)

Here's a short introduction to the film series, cribbed from Wikipedia, for my overseas readers who might not me as familiar with them as us Brits;

The Carry On series is a long-running British sequence of comedy films, stage shows and television programs produced between 1958 and 1992. There were thirty-one films. Peter Rogers and Gerald Thomas were the series' sole producer and director respectively. They mostly employed the same crew and a regular group of actors. The main cast predominantly featured Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey, Joan Sims, Kenneth Connor, Peter Butterworth, Hattie Jacques, Terry Scott, Bernard Bresslaw, Barbara Windsor, Jack Douglas and Jim Dale. The Carry Ons comprise the largest number of films of any British series and, next to the James Bond films, are the second-longest continually-running UK film series.

4 comments:

Mr. Fatuous said...

The problem is they all blend into one over time. So I've really picked ones where I can remember something distinct about it.

1. Carry On Cleo (if only for the infamy line)
2. Carry On At Your Convenience (nice snapshot of how Thatcher probably saw the unions, probably meaningless unless you were around in the 70s)
3. Carry On Cruising (I liked the ship'd drunk patron)
4. Carry On Camping (It contains the one scene most people remember when you mention Carry On films)
5. Carry On Doctor (You can't have a Carry On list without at least one matron)

Shuft said...

There can only be number one...

1. Carry On... Up The Khyber
(Bungeditin and his burpa's)
2. Carry On Camping
(Ditto Mr. Fatuous comment!)
3. Carry On Cowboy
(Marshal P. Knutt & The Rumpo Kid, also the "peace on, peace off" line).
4. Carry On Screaming
(Frying tonight)
5. Carry On Cruising
(I have been the drunk patron on the SS Canberra in 1981!)

PeterL said...

It feels like we've all seen them all with so many clips over the years, but in reality I think I've seen very few, and have no desire to watch any again - you're a brave man going through them all!!
So my top 5 is short (sorry).
1. Cleo
2. Screaming
3. Up the Khyber

Chopper said...

Thanks Peter - I'm realising there are several films I've either not seen at all or don't remember very well. The best known ones do suffer a bit from over familiarity but I am still enjoying the task (even if it's going to take me longer than my allotted 31 days!).