Tuesday 8 May 2012

Music Diary 2012 - Day 2

Tuesday and I'm back to work and back to my normal routine. There is a short burst of music from my clock radio as I wake up but I'm quick to slam the snooze button and turn it off so don't catch what or who it was. My drive into work is accompanied by my iPod on shuffle which throws up the following selection.
"S.T.B." The Godfathers
"Get It Together" The Go! Team
"Tom" Laura J Martin
"Time Capsule" Dananananaykroyd
"New Direction" Black Lips
"ESP" Hooded Fang
"Strange Things Happen" Billy Bragg

When I'm out and about I use my iPod Nano. This only holds 4GB and so generally has a selection of new albums, recent archive purchases or old favourites. I had a late lunch and went for a run about 3:00 in the afternoon. The iPod is on shuffle again. A playlist of songs under 6 minutes (much as I love Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Prog Rock I really don't want to have to trudge the whole two and half miles listening to just one song).
"Panther Dash" The Go! Team
"Sunday" Yuck
"True Confessions" The Undertones
"Another Girl, Another Planet" The Only Ones
"Slims" Neil Cowley Trio
"The Face Of Mount Molehill" Neil Cowley Trio
"Raised Right Men" Tom Waits
"Birth, School, Work, Death" The Godfathers
It's been 4 days since I ran and I struggled a bit at the start, "True Confessions" helped pick up my pace a little, I was comfortably cruising by the back to back Neil Cowley Trio tunes but then ran out of steam as Tom Waits hit my ears. "Birth, School, Work, Death" is one of my favourite Godfathers' tracks and that spurred me on to a decent finish. You can probably work out from the track lengths that I'm not an amazingly quick runner.

Back at work and with the office to myself I plugged the iPod in to a set of speakers and continued the same shuffling playlist.
"How Do I Let A Good Man Down" Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
"Batman Theme" Link Wray
"Saturday Afternoon" Luke Haines
"Lula" Scout Niblett
"A Lover Sings" Billy Bragg
"Your Thins Is A Drag" Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
"Wyth" Y Niwl
"Everything Goes My Way" Metronomy
"Ain't No Way" Aretha Franklin
"Riding" Trembling Bells & Bonnie Prince Billy


And then a bit more on my journey home. I think it's already becoming quite clear how much I rely on the random nature of shuffle to save me having to spend any time thinking about what I want to listen too.
"Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats" Genesis
"Boeing 737" The Low Anthem
"Glory Hallelujah" Frank Turner
"Matador" Sky Larkin
"Start The Day Right" Field Music


After tea, with the rest of the family in bed, I was going to listen to a bit of the Marc Riley show on iPlayer while I read my book but I switched on the TV and realised "Later Live ..." was on so watched that instead. I still watch "Later" religiously as, whatever it's faults, it has a great track record of bringing artists to my attention I may not otherwise have discovered. Tonight's show wasn't a great one though. Plan B kicked things off with a lively performance and Django Django did their post-Beta Band thing but otherwise I found little to get my pulse racing.
"ILL Manors" Plan B
"Open Up Your Arms" Ren Harvieu
"This Girl" Punch Brothers
"Ain't Got No Travelling Shoes" Tom Jones & Jools Holland
"Amalia" Melody Gardot
"Default" Django Django
"Tower of Song" Tom Jones
"Lost My Way" Plan B


Bed time for me now too.

LATE ADDENDUM - Went to sleep listening to my older classic iPod and lasted two songs before I completely sparked out.
"Readers & Writers" Idlewild
"Funeral Song" Sleater Kinney

.

No comments: