Friday 4 July 2014

Chop's Gig Reports - May/June 2014

The World Cup has slowed me down a little with the Top 5 production so here's the latest batch of gig review links to tide you over.

Laura J Martin at The Ivy House - Thursday 5th June 2014 - I've written about Laura J Martin a lot and was beginning to wonder if I'd have anything new to say about yet another gig but this was another fabulous night and in brand new territory for me too. In fact I'd never been to Peckham before let alone the venue and despite the myriad of public transportation options, found the venue fairly easily. A regular train followed by an overground train (after a few moments of indecision at Clapham Junction) and then a bus ride and a short walk eventually led me to The Ivy House, a smashing pub saved from closure about a year ago and now run by the local community. It used to be known as The Newlands Tavern and seems to have had quite a history of live music. Dr Feelgood played several times and other famous performers to appear include Joe Strummer, Ian Dury and early psychedelic Status Quo.


Dustaphonics at The Jazz Cafe - Friday 30th May 2014 - This was a combined celebration of the 14th anniversary of London retro club night Raison d'etre and the album launch party for the Dustaphonics new album Big Smoke London Town.


Swans at Sub89, Reading - Thursday 29th May 2014 - Swans were so amazing the last time I saw them I almost didn't bother with a date on this tour to avoid the inevitable anti-climax. I needn't have worried, the current line-up of Swans are so good could never be anything less than outstanding & are only really competing with their own high standards. They were fantastic again tonight despite a series of events that would have derailed my enjoyment of most other bands.


No comments: