Sunday 5 October 2014

Top 50 Debut Albums - No.8 "Specials" The Specials (1979)

The best album to come out of the Two Tone movement.


This also made my 70s list so I suspect I already told you this story but, here we go again ...

I first saw this album at my best pal's Blue Peter bring & buy sale. I guess this would have been late 1979 or early 1980. I was into Madness, and recognised the 2 Tone logo, but didn't know much about The Specials. The cover really grabbed me though, the band looked cool and I desperately wanted to buy it. The record was only £3 but I hadn't really planned to buy anything and didn't have enough money. I failed to convince the seller to accept the £1.64, blunt pencil & bit of string I had in my pocket and so made the mad dash home to get Mum or Dad to fund me. By the time I got back they'd sold it to someone else.

I was quite a bit older by the time I did buy The Specials but it's been a huge favourite of mine ever since.



.

No comments: