Thursday 25 September 2014

Top 50 Debut Albums - No.18 "Dry" P J Harvey (1992)

Next a lady I first saw live at Wembley not long after this album came out ...


She was supporting U2 in the early afternoon at Wembley Stadium which wasn't the ideal environment for anyone to do well. I was only vaguely aware of her and my music tastes weren't as broad back then (I was at a U2 gig for a start!). However, I do remember enjoying the fact so many U2 fans didn't like her and that began to make me think she'd be worth pursuing.

There's a bit of a recurring theme in these picks that it takes me around 10 years to appreciate the best artists and bands. In keeping with that it was her fifth album, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea, that finally won me over. I've been working my way though her back catalogue since then and love all the ones I've got.

After something of a false start, Polly Jean is also very near the top of my list of artists I REALLY need to see live.





.

No comments: