Friday 29 October 2021

Top 5 Flags of the World

I’ve not got round to writing up last week’s top five which was a bit of an epic on Twitter and has resulted in a massive playlist so I picked a simpler topic this week and am sticking this one up first. 

I love flags, I don’t love what they sometimes lead to (wars, xenophobia & that sort of thing) but, much like Sheldon Cooper, I do love a flag. 





1. North Macedonia πŸ‡²πŸ‡° 
One of the newest countries of the world and my current favourite flag. The colours are great & the flaming sun design really eye catching. 

2. Croatia πŸ‡­πŸ‡· 
Staying in the Balkans and a country I’ve actually been to. I’ve loved this flag since the 98 World Cup & the checkerboard kit the men’s national team wore which was echoing the flag. Those little additional shields are cool too (I think they represent historic regions that make up Croatia). 

3. South Africa πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ 
Another new flag, introduced in 1994 to coincide with Nelson Mandela being inaugurated as South Africa's first democratically elected president it’s a brilliant design aligned with great colour choices. 

4. South Korea πŸ‡°πŸ‡· 
Lots of symbolism in this one. The Taegukgi in the middle represents the great polarity & duality, four trigrams represent four classical elements which can be translated in a number of ways & the white background is a traditional Korean colour for peace & purity. 

5. Bhutan πŸ‡§πŸ‡Ή 
It’s got a cool dragon on it for a start, one that, even though they haven’t bothered to colour it in, could give the Welsh dragon a run for its money. It’s also another reddy orange flag which a favourite colour combination for me. 

Tweet embedded below if you want to go check out more top 5 flag suggestions. 


No comments: